Convert Microsoft to LINUX: Kernel Compile
The Linux Kernel has improved so much that is almost never necessary
to customize it these days. For those rare times that this is required,
is a really good article on how to do it. Note, the Linux Kernel currently is
at version level 2.6.18. This article was written when it was at the
2.6.9 level. Basically what you will do is
- download the latest kernel version from
. Note as of 10/1/6 the newest kernel is linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 .
This will change with time.
- untar it, i.e. tar xvjf linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
- Change to directory you untarred it to. i.e. cd linux-2.6.18
- make menuconfig
- edit the .config file
- make bzImage
- make modules
- make modules_install
- lastly run make install to update
the grub.conf file and the kernel image on the /boot area.
- As a final step you can type make clean to
remove the object and other temporary files.Note, this will keep the